It’s that time of year again. Kids are back in school, season is changing, and here come the cold & flu bugs.
It’s not just the kids getting sick, it’s the people who have kids, and then the people that work with those people that have kids and then the people who visit with the people that work with the people who have kids… (see diagram below)
From this diagram you can see how easily sickness spreads, and it all started with one kid. (bahahahaha, sometimes I crack myself up)
Here are some suggestions of healthy, natural remedies to help you join the fight against those nasty C&F Bugs, all year long:
1) Nutrition – Try and get your family to eat as many fruit and veggies that you can. Sneak them in their favorite dishes! Pinterest has so many ideas. Try avoiding refined sugar as much as you can. It’s not great for you – and there are so many great alternatives like honey or stevia! Don’t forget to buy local as much as you can. Honey sourced overseas has been found to be made of sugar with no natural honey in it at all. This is not all honey brands – but it really makes you think! When in doubt – buy local.
2) Hydration – In order for our bodies to function well we need to stay hydrated!My trainer (Jennie of Balanced Bodies Westside) tells me that we should consume half our body weight of water in ounces. It makes sense – we are 60% water! Your cells need water to function properly. Tired, hungry, sick, dry skin – try drinking more water.
3) Herbs & Plants – Teas, Essential Oils, Tinctures, Herbal Infusions, so many options!
I love a good tea, find a local tea blending artist in your area and make your own teas and herbal infusions at home.
There are two Cottage Oils Essential Oil Remedies I recommend. One for when you are already sick and one for preventative action.
- Already sick? You need “Contagious”: https://cottageoils.com/product/contagious-roller/ I created this natural blend of essential oils based on the “Thieves” recipe. Have you heard the legend of the Thieves and their magic oil before that helped them avoid the plague and rob people’s houses? Science today has proven the effectiveness of the oils in warding off illness. Those were a bunch of smart Thieves! (Disclaimer: I do not condone robbing people’s houses).
- When you feel a cold coming on, or you would like to take some preventative action use “Immunity” https://cottageoils.com/product/immunity-roller/
- You can use both at the same time as well for an extra boost!
4) Get lots of rest! – Your body can’t heal itself unless you give it rest. So be a parent to yourself and put yourself to bed early. When you sleep your cells are repairing themselves. If you don’t rest your body – it has no time to heal. This is really hard when you are busy, but find a way to make it a priority. Take a look at your schedule and get to bed at a good time time each night to allow for 7 -8 hours of sleep. This is almost impossible when you are a momma with a baby that won’t sleep through the night. Call a friend or family member and get some respite at least once a week so that you can be the best you can be for your babies.
5) Wash your hands! I don’t mean just after you use the bathroom or before you eat. Here is when you should wash your hands:
- AS SOON AS YOU GET HOME! I am not yelling at you, I am shouting with realization! I never thought of this before and no one ever told me I should ever do this. When the kids get home from school or when you get home from work, wash your hands! Think about it – you are touching things all day long. And we all say “kids bring germs home from school” – so… wash your dang hands and leave the bugs at the door.
- Anytime throughout the day that you think of it. During cold and flu season I am washing my hands every time I grab a coffee, get my lunch, use the bathroom, blow my nose, etc. Washing your hands is the simplest thing you can do to try and avoid getting sick.
What suggestions or tips do you have that I’ve missed here? Share your own secrets in the comment section!
Thanks for reading, let me know what else you would like to learn about!
With Love & Light,